As we have established many, many times, I am a sucker for all things pasta and all things in the form of a casserole. And guess what, chicken spaghetti fulfills both of those things.
Creamy, cheesy, and homey, chicken spaghetti is comfort on a plate.
I love to make this dish in advance, pop it in the fridge or freezer, and bake it when I need it. It also can feed a large family or be doubled to feed a crowd.
(also, don’t judge my level of char on the cheese, I like it crispy.)
After I took this photo, I realized I forgot a couple of ingredients. Whoops!
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute 4 tablespoons of butter (1/2 of a stick), 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup diced celery, and 1/2 cup diced bell pepper. Cook until nice and soft.
Once veggies have softened, add in 1 can cream of chicken soup or cream of celery, both work, and 1 small jar of sliced pimentos. Stir to combine.
Next, add 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Stir until completely smooth.
In a measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup of milk and 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, using a fork or whisk to make sure all of the clumps of flour are out. This will serve as a thickening agent. Add milk mixture to saucepan and allow to thicken.
Add 8 ounces or 1/2 block of processed cheese, such as Velveeta, in cubes to the saucepan and stir until melted.
Add diced chicken and stir. Add more chicken broth if you think the mixture is too thick. Taste and adjust your seasonings at this stage, as well.
Toss 12 ounces pasta of your choice, cooked al dente, into the chicken mixture. (it does not have to be spaghetti. we used whole wheat pasta.)
Transfer to a greased 13″x 9″ casserole dish. Top with your favorite blend of cheese, about a cup. (I used mozzarella, a bit of parmesan, and a ton of cheddar.)
Place in 350ºF oven for 30 minutes or until warmed throughout and cheese is melted on top.
Or, until the cheese is super crispy on top, which I LOVE! Enjoy!
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 12 ounces pasta, cooked al dente
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 can cream of chicken or celery soup
- 1 small jar pimentos, drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, more for thinning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 1 cup shredded cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter and saute onions, celery, and bell pepper until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cream soup, pimentos, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- To a measuring cup, combine milk and flour to create a slurry. Use a fork or a whisk in order to break up any clumps of flour.
- Pour milk mixture into soup mixture and allow to thicken.
- Add Velveeta and stir until melted, then add diced chicken. Add more broth if too thick and adjust your seasonings, if necessary.
- Combine cooked pasta, stir to coat even. Transfer mixture into a greased 13″x 9″ casserole dish. Top with cheese blend.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is warmed throughout and cheese on top is melted.
- Serve hot and enjoy!