Po-ta-toes. Boil ’em. Mash ’em. Stick ’em in a stew. (name that movie.)
In this case, you’re going to smash ’em, then slather ’em in butter, garlic, and parmesan.
These babies are so darn good, you will be making them every chance you get.
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
All you need is some baby red potatoes, lotsa butter, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, and some salt and pepper.
In a large stockpot, place however many potatoes you want in the pot with some heavily salted water, then bring to a boil.
Boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
Turn the broiler on to the high setting in your oven and line a baking sheet with a mat or with foil. Place all of the potatoes onto the baking sheet.
Get a fork or a potato masher and slightly smash each potato to break it open. These will not be “pretty” and that is perfect.
To a microwave-safe dish, melt 1 stick of salted butter. To the butter, combine however much minced garlic as you would like, and about 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. *I love garlic, so I minced about 3-4 large cloves.* Feel free to add whatever spices you want!
Spoon about a tablespoon, or more, onto the top of each potato, really getting into the broken areas to allow the seasonings to soak into the insides.
Then sprinkle the top of each potato with parmesan. Place inside the oven, for about 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the potatoes are starting to become crispy. *Be super careful to not burn, as the broiler works really fast!* Take out of the oven and you have garlic smashed potatoes!
These potatoes are a perfect side dish for any protein. We served ours with steak and a salad!
- 10 baby red potatoes
- 1 stick salted butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot, place the potatoes in the bottom, cover with a generous amount of water, then salt the water.
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender.
- Preheat the oven to the broil setting on high.
- Place the cooked potatoes on a baking sheet covered in foil or lined with a mat. With a fork or potato masher, smash the potatoes until they are slightly flattened and broken open.
- Combine the melted butter, salt, and pepper. Drizzle about a tablespoon (or more) of the butter mixture over each of the potatoes. Then sprinkle the parmesan over the top of each potato.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven for about 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the tops and edges are turning brown and crispy. *keep a close eye on the potatoes, as the broiler can make the potatoes turn from not done enough to too done in the matter of seconds.*
- Take out of the oven and serve hot with your favorite protein! Enjoy.