Tres leches cake, which translates to “three milks” cake, is one of my favorite cakes to make. It is also one of my favorite cakes to eat.
While meal prepping before Aric returned from his deployment, I just K N E W I had to make this naughty thing. If you were to ask him, he would probably say this is one of his favorite cakes.
We had a couple of friends over to eat dinner with us and I thought I would kill two birds with one stone: make a yummy dessert for company to round out our spicy pulled pork sandwich meal, but also to please Aric’s heart. (and stomach)
This tres leches cake recipe is beyond easy and I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 whole eggs, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- fruit for topping, such as mango, strawberries, blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray 9″ x 13″ pan liberally with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Separate eggs. Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar on high speed until the egg yolks are pale and have doubled in size. Beat in milk and vanilla extract. Pour over the flour mixture and very gently combine.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks begin to form. Add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and beat until the egg whites become stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold egg whites into the batter until just combined. Pour into prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean once placed in the center. Turn the cake out onto a rimmed platter or a baking sheet and allow to cool.
- Combine milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk into a large measuring cup. Once the cake has cool, poke holes into the cake with a fork. Slowly drizzle milk mixture over the top of the cake, trying to get around the edges as much as possible.
- Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for about 30 minutes. Whip 1 pint heavy whipping cream and 3 tablespoons sugar until thick, about 1 minute. Spread over the surface of the cake.
- Top with fruit of your choice and slice into squares.
- Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
One thought on “Tres Leches Cake”