Y’all, I have a confession to make: I still have a freezer full of fruit that I picked over the summer. TONS of fruit. Blueberries. Blackberries. Apples. Fruit overload.
In an attempt to try to lessen the amount of crap I have in my refrigerator, I thought I better use up some of the fruit in the upper section. Then boom, I thought “BLUEBERRY MUFFINS.”
I love muffins slathered in some butter. I know, I know, a little bit of an overkill. But trust me. Heat one of those babies for a few seconds in the microwave and sandwich a slab of butter in between. I promise you won’t eat a muffin any other way. Unless they’re right out of the oven, of course.
Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins
Any blueberries will do in this recipe, fresh or frozen. Use whatever you’ve got or whatever is in season!
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Stir.
In a large measuring cup, add 2 eggs, 1 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Stir to combine completely.
Pour milk mixture over flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not over mix.
Add 1-3/4 cup blueberries. Fold in very gently.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring spoon, fill muffin cups equally with batter. I had 16 muffins total.
In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Using a spoon, sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the sugar/cinnamon mixture liberally.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack and serve warm.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large measuring cup, add eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Stir well.
- Pour milk mixture over the top of the flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix until it just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Pour in blueberries and fold into batter.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill muffin cups equally with batter.
- In a small bowl, stir together additional sugar and cinnamon. Using a spoon, sprinkle the top of each muffin with cinnamon sugar, liberally.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack and serve warm.