‘Tis the season for baking!
I absolutely, positively love the warm spices, the candy, the cakes, the cranberries, you name it, that Christmas brings. I’ll eat ’em all!
One of the quintessential holiday sweets has to be gingerbread cookies! However, my husband requested that I make a gingerbread that is soft and chewy. So, I whipped these bad babies up last night, and HOLY MOLY, they are definitely Shandy Brooks approved! (insert wand noise)
They are rolled in a coating of granulated sugar, super spicy, and everything that you want in a gingerbread cookie, and more! Please do yourself a favor and make these before the holiday season is over!
Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
All pretty basic ingredients for gingerbread cookies! Softened butter, brown sugar, an egg, baking soda, AP flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
In the bowl of your mixer, add 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons softened butter and 1 cup packed brown sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
To the bowl, add 1 large egg and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons molasses. (6 tablespoons)
In a separate bowl, add 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground cloves, 1-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon allspice. Mix to combine.
Add flour mixture to the mixing bowl in 2 increments.
Mix until just combined, being careful to not over-mix.
Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
When ready to bake, remove dough from refrigerator, preheat oven to 350ºF, and add 2/3 cups granulated sugar to a bowl.
Scoop out about 1/2 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball between your hands.
Roll ball in granulated sugar.
Place dough on a cookie sheet lined with a baking mat or parchment paper. Spread about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 9-10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack to continue to cool completely. Store in a container or tightly covered.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons molasses, light or dark
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, around 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in egg and molasses until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. In 2 increments, add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Cover mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line cookie sheets with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add granulated sugar.
- Shape dough into a ball, about 1-inches big. Roll dough balls into sugar.
- On the cookie sheets, place dough about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until set, but still soft in the center. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a container or tightly covered for up to 1 week.