It is STILL winter. I feel like this cold weather up in the PNW has lasted a little too long.
I am naturally a cold-natured person and I just overall need anything I can get to warm me up on a cold day.
These cold and dreary days call for a big ole cup of soup and in our house, tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich reigns supreme.
This tomato recipe is hearty, super flavorful, and pretty dang easy to whip up on any day of the week!
I know what you’re thinking, yes, carrots in a tomato soup. Trust me, it adds a nice depth of flavor you did not even know you needed.
In a large stockpot, add 3 large carrots that have been peeled and diced, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 medium onion finely diced, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Over medium-high heat, cook for 5 minutes.
Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, stir to combine, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Add 1-28 ounce can whole tomatoes, 1-14.5 ounce can whole tomatoes, 3 cups chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1 tablespoon dried parsley. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat and place tomato soup into blender and blend until smooth. You may have to do this in batches and you can leave some texture if you would like. (We have picky kids and have to blend fully.)
Practice extreme caution when blending hot liquids!
Add soup back to pot, add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon dried basil, and adjust seasoning levels. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
To serve: sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese, a grilled cheese sandwich, or with a piece of crusty French bread.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced\
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1-14.5 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- In a large pot, heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stir, and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper, and parsley, and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the tomato mixture, still leaving some texture if desired. I usually do this in 2 batches in my blender. *Be careful when blending hot substances!*
- Add soup back to pot, add cream, basil, and adjust any seasonings if necessary. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup with parmesan cheese, a grilled cheese sandwich, or with a piece of crusty French bread.