It is STILL winter. I feel like this cold weather up in the PNW has lasted a little too long.
I am naturally a cold-natured person and I just overall need anything I can get to warm me up on a cold day.
These cold and dreary days call for a big ole cup of soup and in our house, tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich reigns supreme.
This tomato recipe is hearty, super flavorful, and pretty dang easy to whip up on any day of the week!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced\
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1-14.5 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- In a large pot, heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stir, and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper, and parsley, and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the tomato mixture, still leaving some texture if desired. I usually do this in 2 batches in my blender. *Be careful when blending hot substances!*
- Add soup back to pot, add cream, basil, and adjust any seasonings if necessary. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup with parmesan cheese, a grilled cheese sandwich, or with a piece of crusty French bread.