Being the traditional Southern lady that I am, buttermilk pie is one of those staple recipes that I have grown up eating and have made for years.
So simple, so delicious, and just flat out a pie that you need to make for a family dinner, a pot luck, or just cause (which is what I did).
Serve with some fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream, and you are set with this scrumptious buttermilk pie.
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat oven 350ºF.
- Prepare pie crust in a deep 9-inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Stir.
- Add the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Pour in buttermilk and vanilla and whisk. Then whisk in butter until smooth.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into unbaked prepared pie crust, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Pie will still be slightly jiggly. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 2 hours before serving, or serve after cooling in refrigerator.
I know how to make a flaky homemade pie crust, but let’s be real, on a pie like this… a homemade pie crust is not necessary. These pre-made crusts are just as good and a million times easier.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare pie crust in a deep 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges.
In a large bowl, combine 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, and a pinch of salt. Stir. Add 3 large eggs and whisk to combine. Pour in 1 cup of buttermilk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Whisk and then whisk in 1/2 cup melted butter until smooth.
Pour the pie mixture into unbaked prepared pie crust.
Bake for 45-50 minutes. Pie will still be jiggly in the center.
Remove from oven and let cool for at least 2 hours before serving, or serve after cooling in the refrigerator. (my preferred method.)
Slice and serve with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream.