In the summer months, fruit is in abundance up here in Washington. Recently, we went to a strawberry farm and picked our own berries. Of course, I picked way way way too many and had to find some ideas to use them before they went bad.
I absolutely love to mix fruit into my salads. Fruit gives any salad a freshness that is unmatched.
This salad is super quick to whip up for a quick and healthy lunch, the strawberries are super fresh and the feta gives it the right amount of funk. The balsamic dressing is also paired well with any salad.
Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Salad
In a screw-top glass jar, add some extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, dried thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Shake until smooth and combined. Set aside.
I have this handy garlic press from IKEA that I love using in recipes such as this, where mincing with a knife can often lead to larger pieces where the garlic is not cooked.
Also, get you a cute little sous chef to help you!
To arrange the salad, place some romaine and butter lettuce on a large plate.
Scatter some quartered strawberries over the top of the lettuces.
Then some halved cherry or grape tomatoes. I used yellow here to give the salad some color!
Sprinkle some sliced green onions over the top.
Next, crumble some feta cheese over the top.
Add in some pecan pieces for some crunch.
Arrange some sliced, grilled chicken over the top.
Lastly, drizzle some balsamic vinaigrette over the top.
Toss to coat and enjoy!
For the Salad
- romaine and butter lettuce, or lettuce of your choice
- strawberries, quartered and hulled
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- feta cheese, crumbled,
- green onions, sliced
- pecans, diced
- grilled chicken, sliced
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a screw-top jar, add all ingredients to make the vinaigrette. Shake until the dressing is smooth. Set aside.
- To arrange the salad, start by mixing lettuce greens onto a plate or in a bowl. Arrange strawberries, tomatoes, and green onions on top of the lettuce. Crumble some feta cheese over the top, as well as some pecans.
- Layer some sliced grilled chicken over the top of the salad, then spoon some balsamic vinaigrette over the salad, and toss to coat.