Goodness, this is so good. And can be spicy, but spectacular. Put it on a sandwich, throw it inside a taco or on top of nachos. Or heck, eat it by itself. Either way, it is beautiful and beyond delicious.
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 whole pork butt (pork shoulder roast)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- One 11-ounce can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- One 20-ounce bottle of Dr Pepper
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Start by placing the onion quarters in the bottom of a pot.
- Place the pork butt on top of the onions and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the chipotle chiles over the top. (I use about 1/2 of a can so that my kids can eat it too, otherwise it is a touch too spicy!)
- Open the Dr Pepper and pour over the chiles and then add the brown sugar.
- Cover the pot and cook for at least 6 hours, flipping the roast 2 to 3 times during the cooking process. When it is done, it will be dark and fork-tender. (If the pork does not easily pull apart with forks, return it to the oven in 30 minute intervals.)
- Remove the roast from the pot and shred it completely.
- Spoon the fat from the top of the liquid in the pot. Return the meat to the pot and keep it in the juice until serving.
Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
Preheat oven to 300ºF. Place some onion quarters in the bottom of a pot.
Place the pork butt on top of the onions and and salt and pepper to taste.
Pour some chipotle chiles over the top.
Crack open a bottle of the hard stuff. Then pour it over the chiles and add some brown sugar over the top.
Cover the pot and cook for at least 6 hours, flipping 2 to 3 times in the cooking process.
When the roast is fork tender, shred the meat completely. Spoon the fat from the top of the liquid and return to the cooking liquid.
We served here on toasted buns and it was DIVINE!
One thought on “Dr Pepper Pulled Pork”