I really enjoy making my own applesauce during apple season.
It is beyond easy, as you can just throw it in your slow cooker, and forget about it for awhile.
I started making homemade applesauce when Rowan was a baby and have continued to do so over the last couple of years. You can control the amount of sugar that you place into your applesauce, as well as adjust the flavoring to your liking.
And if your kids blow through the applesauce as fast as mine do, it will be worth your while.
- 8 large apples of choice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- Peel, core, and dice apples. Discard peel and core.
- Place apples in the insert of a slow cooker, then sprinkle over the brown sugar and the cinnamon. Pour over the water and stir to completely coat the apples.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
- When done and apples are tender, use a potato masher or immersion blender to achieve your desired consistency.
- You can either seal the applesauce according to canning directions, store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and use within 3-4 days.
Slow Cooker cinnamon Applesauce
Peel, core, and largely dice some apples.
Add some brown sugar and cinnamon, if using.
Pour in some water.
And stir to combine.
Place the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Your apples should be very, very soft and mushy.
You can mash with a potato masher if you want your applesauce to be on the chunkier side.
Or an immersion blender if you would prefer a more smooth applesauce.
The smells are amazing!
We prefer to use the immersion blender for a more smooth applesauce!
You can either seal the applesauce according to canning directions, store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
Thaw in refrigerator overnight and use within 3-4 days.
If using a sweeter apple, you may cut down on the amount of brown sugar being used.
My kids love it with a little bit of cinnamon sprinkled on top!