I love when you can make a full meal with minimal dishes.
Dishes are not my thing and somehow I manage to make a big ole mess when I’m cooking. So anytime there is a dish where it isn’t messy, SIGN ME UP!
This meal is made with jarred pesto and pre-made cheese tortellini. Super yummy, kid-friendly, and heats up quite well for leftovers, if you’re into those type of things!
One-Pot Pesto Chicken and Tortellini
Trim and cut some asparagus in half.
And then get some cherry tomatoes and slice in half. Set the asparagus and cherry tomatoes aside.
Slice two chicken breasts in half to end up with four thinner slices of chicken. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Grill chicken on both sides and set aside to a clean plate.
In the same pan, add a little bit of olive oil and the asparagus. Season the asparagus generously with salt. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes or until the asparagus is cooked through.
Add in some of the basil pesto to the asparagus.
Then pour in some heavy cream.
Add some cooked, pre-made refrigerated or frozen tortellini to the skillet.
Then add in the halved cherry tomatoes. Stir to combine and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Slice the grilled chicken.
To serve : place the tortellini and asparagus mixture on a plate, top with the sliced chicken, and garnish with some grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil leaves.
Isn’t this a pretty plate of food? And using one skillet and one pot to boil the pasta? I am SOLD!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half to make 4 thinner pieces
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cheese-filled tortellini, cooked to package directions
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season chicken
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Fresh basil, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and cook the chicken that has been seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Grill on both sides until cooked through, then remove chicken to a clean plate.
- Using the same skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add asparagus. Season generously with salt and cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until the asparagus is cooked through.
- Add in the basil pesto, heavy cream, and cooked tortellini. Cook on medium-low for 1-2 minutes and then stir in the cherry tomatoes halves. Stir to combine and season with more salt, if necessary.
- To serve, slice chicken breasts in strips. Scoop up some of the tortellini mixture, place sliced chicken on top, and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil that has been chopped.