Lasagna is one of Aric’s favorites. However, sometimes I just don’t have it in me to make it all at once.
This slow cooker version has a homemade meat sauce and homemade cheese mixture, but both can be made in advance which will ultimately cut down on the amount of time spent in the kitchen the day of!
My lasagna always has cottage cheese in it, but you could totally use ricotta if you prefer.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound hot breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, breakfast sausage, and onion. Add salt pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, sugar, and water. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes. You could make this sauce in advance.
- Spread 1/4 of the meat sauce into the bottom of the insert of the slow cooker. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the meat sauce, braking the noodles to fit, if necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine the whisked egg, mozzarella, cottage cheese, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon parsley flakes. This could be made in advance as well.
- Spoon 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles. Repeat layers two more times, making three layers total. Top with remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with extra mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until noodles are tender.
Slow Cooker Lasagna
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, breakfast sausage, and onion. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes, and garlic powder to the meat mixture.
Then a couple tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Add a can of tomato paste, as well as a large can of diced tomatoes.
Pour some water into the mixture and add a couple tablespoons of sugar to cut through the acidity of the tomatoes. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
In a medium-sized bowl combine a whisked egg, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, and parsley flakes.
Spread 1/4 of the meat sauce into the bottom of an insert of the slow cooker.
Break 1/3 of the uncooked lasagna noodles to fit over the top.
Spoon 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
Repeat layers two more times, making three layers total. Top with remaining meat sauce.
Sprinkle with extra Parmesan.
Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until noodles are tender.
Serve in individual portions and top with some fresh parsley.