These apple pie bars are ABSOLUTELY delicious.
With a shortbread base, an apple center, and a sugary crumb topping, there are tons of flavors that are beyond mouth-watering.
Apple pie bars are a perfect dessert to have on the table at a party or get-together, or you could be like me and keep them in the fridge for whenever you need a little bite of something sweet!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment is coming up out of the sides, as this will make it easier to life out.
- To make the shortbread base: Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high for about 2-3 minutes, until it is light and fluffy. Add in the granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt. Once combined, add in the flour and continue to beat on low until it is mixed.
- Press the shortbread mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and increase the temperature to 350ºF.
- Meanwhile, make the crumb topping. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour and brown sugar. Add the softened butter and “cut” into the flour and sugar mixture until crumbly. Place into the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Next, prepare the apple filling. In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until the apples are well coated.
- Now it is time to assemble the apple pie bars. Sprinkle one half of the topping over the shortbread layer, then arrange the apples over the topping. Try to keep the layers level since you will have a few layers.
- After the addition of the apples, sprinkle the rest of the topping on top. Place the bars into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before placing in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- Once the bars are set, remove from the baking dish by lifting out of the parchment paper and cut into squares.
apple pie bars
Preheat oven to 300ºF and make the shortbread base.
In a mixing bowl, place a stick of unsalted, room temperature butter.
Mix for 2-3 minutes on high until light and fluffy. Add in some granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Continue to mix until well combined.
Add in a cup of flour.
Then continue to beat on low until it is mixed.
Press the shortbread mixture into a baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper.
Press the dough into the bottom of the pan.
And bake for 15 minutes.
Remove shortbread and increase temperature to 350ºF.
Meanwhile, make the crumb topping.
In a medium bowl, stir together some flour and brown sugar.
And in half of a stick of room temperature butter. Then cut in the butter to the mixture.
Until the mixture resembles crumbs. Place in refrigerator to keep cold until you are ready to use.
Lastly, make the apple filling.
Place some thinly sliced pieces of apples in a large bowl with some flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
Stir until the apples are well coated.
Assemble the apple pie bars by sprinkling half of the crumb topping mixture on top of the shortbread base.
Then all of the apples.
And then sprinkle the other half of the crumb topping on top of the apples.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Let the apple pie bars cool completely and then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Once cooled, using the parchment, lift the apple pie bars out of the pan.
And cut into squares.
Perfect size for a party or when you need a little bite of something special.