I have an extreme love for all things pasta. I’m a self-named carb queen. My kids also love anything that is pasta.
My oldest child is beyond picky and does not like to step out of his little bubble. So anything that my kids will eat, I enjoy.
While the meat sauce does take a little bit more time, it is quite worth it, and also has a small amount of preparation.
Rigatoni and Meat sauce
In a large pot over medium heat, heat some olive oil and add in some diced onions.
Cook until the onions are starting to turn translucent.
Add in some ground beef and minced garlic.
Cook until the meat is browned, crumbling it up as you go, and drain off most of the excess fat.
Add in a couple of cans of whole tomatoes with some ground thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
Stir and break up the tomatoes as you go.
Turn the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover the pot, stir, and cook for an additional 30 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
To serve place pasta in individual bowls or plates and spoon plenty of sauce over the top. Add grated Parmesan and fresh basil.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-14 ounce cans whole tomatoes with juice
- 1-1/2 pounds rigatoni pasta, cooked to package directions
- fresh basil leaves, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and cook until it is starting to turn translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, the ground beef, and cook until the meat is browned, crumbling it up as you go. Drain off most of the excess fat.
- Add the thyme, pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and canned tomatoes. Stir, breaking up the tomatoes with the cooking spoon. Turn the heat to low and cover the pot, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the pot, stir, and cook for an additional 30 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed, keep warm.
- Place pasta in individual bowls and spoon plenty of the sauce over the top.
- Serve with grated Parmesan and fresh basil leaves, if desired.