These lemon bars are beyond easy to make and a perfect dessert for the summertime, to take to a pot luck, or just when you’re not feeling anything that is chocolate or heavy.
The amount of lemon in here will leave you with the mouth-puckering zip that I crave with any lemon-forward dessert.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
Let’s make the crust:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together some all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and some salt.
Add in two sticks of salted butter that are cubed and are still cold.
Grab your trusty pastry blender…
And cut in the butter until the mixture resembles pebbles.
Pour the crust mixture into the prepared baking dish.
And press firmly into the bottom of the pan.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is starting to get golden brown around the edges.
While the crust is baking, make the filling.
In the same mixing bowl, combine some granulated sugar and flour.
Crack in 4 large eggs.
And then whisk until smooth and light.
Add in a ton of lemon zest.
And lemon juice from 4 lemons.
Pour the mixture over the crust.
Add back to the oven and cook for 20 more minutes.
Place the pan into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, after the baking time has finished.
Before serving, sift powdered sugar over the top.
And then cut into squares.
And try not to eat them all at once!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large whole eggs
- 4 medium-sized lemons, zested and juiced
- powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- To make the crust: in a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the cubed butter to the mixture and use a pastry blender to cut it all together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press the crust mixture into the prepared pan and bake until golden around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- To make the filling: in a medium mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Crack in the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, mix until combined and smooth. Pour the filling over the baked crust and then place back into the oven to bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Allow the lemon bars to cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, then sift some powdered sugar over the top before cutting into squares.