One of my favorite cuisines is Indian. I feel like it is underrated, and perhaps one of an acquired taste, but one that I love and crave.
This version of butter chicken is made in a slow cooker and has a ton of bold flavors that my family loves.
- 1-14 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, cubed
- 1-14 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, heaping
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- long-grain rice, for serving
- sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving
- cilantro leaves, for serving
- naan bread, for serving
- Shake a can of coconut milk to mix it up, then pour it into a large bowl along with the cream and butter.
- Add in the stewed tomatoes, the tomato paste, garam masala, garlic, ginger, and sriracha. Stir to combine.
- Combine the chicken and onion in the insert of the slow cooker and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the top, stir to combine, then place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. Stir once in the middle of the cooking process to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
- Serve with a generous helping over a bed of rice. Add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt over the top, if desired, cilantro leaves, and naan bread.
slow cooker butter chicken
In a large bowl, pour in a can of coconut milk. Add in some butter and heavy cream, pour in a can of stewed tomatoes, and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.
Add in some garam masala, which can be found in most grocery stores on the spice aisle. Then add in some minced garlic, minced ginger, and some sriracha. Stir to combine.
In the insert of a slow cooker, combine some cubed chicken and thinly sliced onion. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top.
Pour the coconut milk-tomato mixture over the chicken in the insert.
Stir the mixture completely.
Place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve a generous helping over a bed a rice.
And you could serve with a piece of naan bread and some roasted rainbow carrots.