April 24th is National Pigs in a Blanket Day!
I always remember on our state-mandated testing days, one of the class moms would bring pigs in a blanket along with a bunch of other yummy treats and I always loved them!
This recipe is an adult-version that is a spicy spin on the original finger food that we all know and love.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 16 mini cocktail sausages
- 16 small slices Pepper Jack cheese
- 16 jarred jalapeno slices
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- whole grain mustard, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a piece of parchment or with a silicone baking mat.
- Lay the puff pastry sheet flat and cut it into 4-equal size trips, then cut those into 4 more strips so that you have 16 pieces of dough.
- Cut a slit across the top of each sausage, then fill it with a piece of cheese, lay a jalapeno slice on top, and place the sausage at one end of the puff pastry strip. Roll the sausage into the strip.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Let them cool slightly and then serve with some whole grain mustard.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.
spicy pigs in a blanket
Preheat oven to 375ºF and lay a thawed out piece of puff pastry on the counter.
Cut the puff pastry into 4-equal (ish) sized strips.
Then cut each of the 4 strips into 4 more strips, equaling 16 strips total.
Cut a slit into each cocktail sausage.
Then stuff the sausage with a piece of Pepper Jack cheese and a jarred jalapeno slice.
Place the sausage onto one end of the puff pastry.
And then roll up, placing it on a baking sheet that has been lined.
Brush the tops of each with some melted butter.
And then bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve on a platter with whole grain mustard.