May 14th is National Buttermilk Biscuit Day!
As a true Southerner, I feel like buttermilk biscuits and gravy is engrained in my blood. If you’re a prolific biscuit-maker, you know that you are probably going to have a ton of leftover biscuits (unless you’re serving several people!)
So what do you do with all of your leftover biscuits from the My New Favorite Biscuits recipe? You make strawberry shortcakes, of course!
Incredibly easy, a sweet treat to end the day, and your leftovers will never go to waste!
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6-8 leftover biscuits, My New Favorite Biscuits
- homemade whipped cream
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Strawberries: In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar. Set the strawberries aside at room temperature for up to 1 hour.
- Whipped Cream: In a large bowl, combine the cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on high until the cream is fluffy and holds a soft peak when the beater is pulled out out the bowl. Use at once or you may store in the refrigerator for up to about 30 minutes.
- Assembly: Split the biscuits in half, arranging the bottom on the plate. Layer whipped cream and strawberries on each biscuit. Place the biscuit halves on top and then serve.
Buttermilk Biscuit Strawberry Shortcakes
Split your leftover buttermilk biscuits in half, putting the bottom half on a plate.
Fill biscuits with strawberries, then homemade whipped cream, and then place the top of the biscuit on the mixture. Then serve!