On any given day, ask my kids what they want to eat and they will 99.9% of the time respond with “ramen.”
While I appreciate their love of carbs and the cheap little packs that take about .5 seconds to make, I don’t always want to join in on the sodium overload the little silver packets hold. While it is DELISH, there isn’t much substance to the packs of ramen.
And since we are no longer down the street to a million different Asian food places, I decided to make a jazzed-up version of the ramen packs my kids love and adore.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, optional
- 4 stalks scallion, white parts into 2-inch pieces and green parts into rounds
- 3 packages instant ramen noodles, seasonings discarded
- 8 ounces baby bok choy, stem removed and sliced into pieces
- sesame seeds, for topping
- chili oil, for topping
- cold water
- 4 eggs
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Turn the Instant Pot on sauté mode. As soon as the pot is fully heated, add the vegetable oil. Sear the chicken on both sides until the chicken has browned on both sides. Hit cancel to turn off the Instant Pot.
- To the insert of the Instant Pot, add the chicken broth, water, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and the white parts of the scallions. Cover the pot and turn on to “high pressure” mode for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the ramen eggs.
- In a small pot, add enough cold water to cover the eggs. When the water boils, add the eggs and cook for 7 minutes. When your eggs are done, place them into an ice water bath and let sit for 5 minutes. Carefully peel off the shells while the eggs are still in the water. Make sure you remove the membrane covering the egg white. Slice in half length-wise and set aside.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, turn to quick release. Discard the white portions of the onion from the pot and scoop out the chicken. Shred with two forks.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode once again. When the broth starts to boil, add the chicken back to the pot with the 3 packages of ramen noodles. Make sure you push down the noodles into the broth so that they are completely submerged. As soon as your ramen becomes soft, add the bok choy to the pot. Stir around.
- Turn off sauté mode and serve immediately. Divide ramen into 4 bowls, top with eggs, the green part of the scallion, and sesame seeds, if desired.