Have you ever had King Ranch Casserole? I think it might be a Texas and/or Southern thing? This King Ranch Mac n Cheese is a variation of the typical King Ranch Casserole, but with a twist.
This dish is easily reheated and can be made in advance, placed in the freezer, thawed, and then baked. King Ranch Mac n Cheese makes a significant amount, which we use to meal prep for lunches.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1-14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated + more for topping
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 10-12 ounces rotini pasta, cooked to package directions
- crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until veggies start to soften. Add the stewed tomatoes and cream soup, then stir to combine. Add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Continue to stir.
- Add in the Velveeta cheese and allow to melt fully. Place the shredded cheddar, shredded chicken, and sour cream into the mixture. Once cheddar has melted fully, add in the cooked pasta, and continue to stir and allow the pasta to be fully coated.
- Dump the mixture into a greased cast iron skillet. Top with crushed tortilla chips and sprinkle with some more shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and slightly golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, then scoop in individual portions.
King Ranch Mac n Cheese
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, place a few tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat.
Add in some diced onion and diced bell pepper and continue to cook for a few minutes, or until the veggies are starting to soften. Add in a can of stewed tomatoes.
And then a can of cream of chicken soup. Stir to combine, then add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin.
Throw in some cubed Velveeta pieces.
Place in some shredded cheddar, shredded chicken, and sour cream to the mixture.
Then toss some rotini pasta that has been cooked.
Stir until everything is completely coated and all of the cheeses are melted.
Dump the mixture into a greased cast iron skillet.
Top with some crushed tortilla chips.
And then sprinkle with some more shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and slightly golden on top.
Scoop into individual portions.
And then top with some chopped fresh parsley.
One thought on “King Ranch Mac n Cheese”