Did you ever eat hamburger helper from the box? Kind of salty, kind of gross. But what if I told you that you could make a homemade version that blows the boxed kind out of the water?
This ONE-POT homemade hamburger helper is such an easy weeknight dinner meal. Fast, minimal dishes, and super cheesy, what’s not to love?
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound pasta shells
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley, for serving
- In a large pot set over medium high heat, add the olive oil, onion and beef. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until brown all over, breaking up the meat as you go, until cooked through.
- Stir in the paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder, cook another minute. Add the pasta then pour in the broth and milk. Add the ketchup and stir to combine.
- Season with salt. Bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat. Simmer 5-8 minutes until the pasta is al dente, stirring often.
- Stir in the cheese and cook another few minutes until very creamy. Divide the pasta among bowls and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy!