Brown butter is probably the best thing on earth. You have butter, brown it, and it gets so toasty and nutty and DELISH! You can spruce up any recipe that calls for butter by simply browning it. Easy peasy!
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch each salt and black pepper
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon sage, and a pinch each of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook until the tomatoes just begin to burst, about 8 minutes. Remove from the skillet to a plate.
- To the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, cooking until the butter begins to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic, oregano, 1 tablespoon sage, and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Cook 1 minute, then pour in the milk and cream. Add the cream cheese. Whisk until smooth. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer and cook 5-8 minutes, until thickened slightly. Stir in the parmesan. Season with salt + pepper. Toss in the pasta and basil and cook 3-5 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Divide the fettuccine between plates and top with tomatoes. Eat and enjoy immediately!