This is absolutely one of my favorite weeknight taco dishes. Taco Tuesday is a favorite around here and this recipe is one of our go-to tacos. These ground chicken tacos are smothered in an avocado cilantro cream sauce and is just absolutely delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more from frying
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 flour or corn tortillas
Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the meat and onion. Cook, breaking up meat as you go, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Add the enchilada sauce and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make the avocado sauce. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy. Season with salt.
- To make the tacos, heat up the tortillas in the microwave so they are pliable. In a separate skillet, heat up a little bit of olive oil on medium-high heat. Layer the meat and a sprinkle of cheese to one side of the tortilla. Try not to over-stuff the tortillas. Fold the tortilla in half and place in the pan. Fry on each side until browned, crisp, and cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Serve warm with avocado sauce, hot sauce, and any desired toppings that you love! n