These cinnamon crunch knots are the ideal pastry. Made with instant yeast, you don’t have to wait for the dough to rise. It is such a quick and easy treat!
- 3-1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 packet (2-1/4 teaspoons) rapid rise instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
Maple Coffee Icing
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, the yeast, brown sugar, and salt. Add the warm milk, eggs, and butter. Mix until the flour is completely incorporated, about 5-6 minutes. If the dough seems sticky, add the remaining 1/2 cup flour a little at a time. The dough should come together in a smooth ball.
- Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to let the gluten relax. Meanwhile, make the filling.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick and 16×14-inches, adding flour as needed. Spread the dough with 5 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Fold the dough in half, directly over the cinnamon mixture, pressing to adhere. Cut into 12-14 strips. Twist each strip into a loose knot, they don’t need to be perfect. Place knots on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon melted butter, the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Spoon clumps of the brown sugar over the knots.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden, in the preheated oven.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Melt together the butter and maple syrup in a small pot over medium heat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the maple extract, powdered sugar, and instant coffee.
- Drizzle the glaze over the knots and eat immediately!
- Cinnamon crunch knots are best served warm. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.