My Chocolate Chip Muffins were such a hit with the kiddos, I decided to make a DOUBLE chocolate chip version and now I can’t choose which one is my favorite because they are just THAT darn good!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chip cookies
- flaky sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and dark chocolate chips.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, oil, and buttermilk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Using a large scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill each liner all of the way to the top. Be careful not to disrupt the batter too much when scooping.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and bake for 8 minutes. Lower heat in oven to 350ºF and continue to bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Let muffins rest in the pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a cooling rack. Sprinkle with flake salt and cool for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Double chocolate chip muffins should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Enjoy!