These eggnog cookies are amazingly soft and chewy. You have to make them this holiday season! Even if you don’t love eggnog, you will absolutely love these cookies! With an optional eggnog icing, this cookie is the winter holiday wrapped up in a bow.
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
Eggnog Icing (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons eggnog, plus more for thinning
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Drizzle in the eggnog and continue to mix until all of the ingredients have come together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until the mixture is combined.
- The dough will be sticky, but should be workable. Do not over-mix.
- Scoop out dough in 2 tablespoon-sized balls. Gently roll each dough ball between your hands, then roll through the sugar to coat.
- Set dough on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden and the middles are set.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- If using the icing, combine the powdered sugar, eggnog, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Whisk to combine, adding more eggnog as needed.
- Drizzle the icing over the cookies and allow it to dry.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.