This has to be my favorite cookie dough recipe! It is so versatile and can be tweaked to your liking. To this dough, I added dark chocolate chips and finely chopped pistachios, topped with some flaky sea salt. Absolutely delicious!!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- sea salt, for topping
- Make brown butter: Add 1 stick of butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to melt and bubble 3-4 minutes, swirling the pan to keep the butter moving around. When the butter is starting to smell nutty and is amber in color, you know the butter is ready. Pour browned butter and any chunks into a heatproof bowl and allow the butter to cool completely. Meanwhile, let the other stick of butter come to room temperature.
- Cream the softened butter together with brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs in, one at a time, and the vanilla, beating until smooth and scraping the bowl as necessary, to make sure everything is incorporated.
- With the mixer on medium-low, slowly drizzle in the cooled brown butter, making sure to scrape in all of the little chunks. Scrape the bowl and mix again for 20-30 seconds, until everything is combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, coffee grounds, salt, and baking soda. Stir together, then add it in 1/3 increments to the butter mixture, mixing on low, until the dough is fully incorporated. Scrape the bowl and beat for a few more seconds.
- Stir in the dark chocolate chips and pistachios. Refrigerate dough for about 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375ºF. Prepare a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In batches, scoop dough using a medium-sized cookie scoop onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.