You cannot go through the season without the perfect apple pie!
This country apple pie recipe is extremely easy and can be made with a sugar-free filling for those who are limiting their sugar intake!
Make sure and have this bad boy on your menu this fall!
Country Apple Pie
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
In a large bowl, add about 7 to 8 apples that have been peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch chunks.
Add some sugar, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Stir to evenly coat all of the apples.
In a 9-inch pie plate, place one unbaked pie crust.
Dump the apple mixture into the pie shell and dot the top with butter.
Place the second pie shell over the top of the apples.
Using your thumb and index finger, crimp the edges of the pie together to seal the filling and cut off any excess dough.
Using a knife or fork, make a few puncture marks to allow the filling to vent.
Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce the heat to 375ºF and continue to bake for 40 minutes.
Transfer pie to wire cooling rack for 1-1/2 hours before serving.
Apple pie is best served at room temperature or warmed at 350ºF for 10 minutes.
Top with some whipped cream or some ice cream for a little bit of extra pizzazz.
You are going to love this!!
- 2 unbaked pie dough for a double 9-inch pie
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (or Splenda for a sugar-free version)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7-8 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Prepare the bottom pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Set the pie shell to the side while you make the filling.
- Place the prepared apples in a large bowl. Add the sugar (or Splenda), flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir the sugar and spices until the apples are thoroughly coated.
- Dump the apple mixture in the prepared pie shell, distributing evenly. Dot the filling with the butter.
- Place the second pie crust dough over the top of the filling. Using your thumb and index finger, crimp the edges of the pie together to seal in the filling. With a knife or fork, puncture the top of the pie 5 to 6 times to create a vent for the filling.
- To bake, place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375ºF and continue baking for 40 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Insert a knife or toothpick into the pie to check the apple’s firmness. If still firm, continue baking until they soften. The perfect apple pie will have visible juices bubbling around the crust. If the top is getting too brown, cover the top with aluminum foil.
- When finished baking, transfer the pie plate to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool for 1-1/2 hours before serving.
- Apple pies are best served at either room temperature or warmed at 350ºF for 10 minutes. Apple pies will keep at room temperature overnight and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.