This black pepper basil chicken is one of my favorite weeknight dinners. No better recipe than one that can be on the table in 30 minutes or less. Bursting with such flavor, this recipe is one you have to try, too!
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (seeded, if desired)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss together the chicken, cornstarch, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper. In a glass jar with a lid, combine the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and fish sauce if you are using, and water. Shake until combined.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the jalapeño slices, bell pepper, and shallots. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the peppers are charring. Stir in the chicken, tossing to combine with the peppers and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the honey and soy sauce mixture. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat and cook until the sauce coats the chicken, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice and top with plenty of basil. Enjoy!