There are several biscuit recipes that I love to make any and every chance that I can; however, this recipe that I have tinkered with has got to be my new favorite recipe for biscuits.
I made these recently for a Sunday morning breakfast and then for dessert after dinner that evening, we used them for strawberry shortcakes.
I love this recipe and I hope you guys do too.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) salted butter, cold, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten, plus 1 large egg for brushing
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, or as needed, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the grated butter and use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until the pieces are even and about pea-sized.
- Stir in the beaten egg with a wooden spoon until combined. Stir in the buttermilk until the dough comes together into a stick mass. Add some more buttermilk in, if it is too dry. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Scrape the dough onto a floured work surface. Use your hand to press it into a round shape, about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Use a floured round cutter to cut out about 20 biscuits, collecting and patting out more scraps to cut more biscuits, if necessary.
- Place the cut biscuits onto prepared baking sheet, arranging them so they are all touching.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining egg and 1 tablespoon buttermilk. Brush the mixture on the top of the biscuits.
- Bake until golden brown 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack before serving.
My New Favorite Biscuits
In a large bowl, add some flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, grate some cold butter over the top.
Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until they are pea-sized shape. Add in a beaten egg and stir in with a wooden spoon. Stir in some buttermilk until the dough becomes a sticky mass.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap and then place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
On a floured work surface, knead dough a couple of times. Use your hands to pat out the dough until it is about 1/2″ thick.
Using a floured round cutter, cut out biscuit dough and place on a prepared baking sheet.
You may need to reshape the dough to create more biscuits.
In a bowl, whisk together an egg and some buttermilk. Brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg mixture.
Then bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Look at how beautifully golden these are! So delicious!